|Project Description:||The Graduate School's Postgraduate Placements Scheme (PPN), first launched in 2009, offers unique placements and internships that are designed to be mutually beneficial to students and their employers. Placement students develop valuable transferable skills that enhance their employability prospects while employers have access to talented individuals who bring a fresh approach to their businesses. |
We are looking for a dynamic, multi-skilled individual to plan, record, and edit a series of short promotional videos to make more postgraduate students aware of the Graduate School's PPN placements scheme.
You will need to be confident at interpreting a creative brief, and comfortable videoing and interviewing students and business people from a wide variety of backgrounds. You will also need to be able to come up with exciting but realistic ways of editing and presenting video footage, and an awareness of content copyright and creative commons licencing.
As a temporary member of the Graduate School's Learning Technology Team you should be prepared to undertake additional duties if required such as additional video and media editing duties.
Please note that you will be required to make off-site visits, and will need to be prepared to carry video equipment such as a camera and tripod.
Some flexibility around days of the week worked will be required.
Key Areas of Work & Outcomes of Placement:
- good communication skills - both written and oral
- a good sense of timing and visual awareness
- some expertise and confidence with a video camera
- experience with video editing software of some type e.g. Adode Premiere, Camtasia, iMovie.
- a mixture of practical and creative skills
- a high level of attention to detail
- patience and concentration
- time management skills
- ability to work alone / independently
Outcomes: One 3-4 minute promotional video and a number of shorter video clips for use in social media promotions.
- Meet with key-stakeholders about project brief
- Interpret project brief and draft project plan / parameters
- Interview and film selection of placement students and hosts
- Film any additional footage
- Edit footage
- Show initial video(s) to stakeholder and get feedback
- Make final versions of videos
The successful candidate will produce a number of video clips and make them available over the web. They will gain experience in project-planning, and in confidently filming a wide range of individuals from students to business people. They will further their video editing skills, in particular following branding guidelines and marketing guidelines.
Successful candidates will gain practical and demonstrable experience in the following key areas:
Successful candidates will also have the opportunity to develop the following key skills:
- Video editing
- Interpreting a creative brief
- Project planning
- Critical thinking
- Time management
- Team work