|Project Description:||The University of Nottingham is looking for someone with a keen attention to detail and interest in data analysis and visualisation to help improve the experience of our taught postgraduate students and contribute to the strategic aims of the university.|
The Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey www.heacademy.ac.uk/institutions/surveys/postgraduate-taught-experience-survey provides a valuable source of information about the learning and teaching experience of our taught postgraduates across all five faculties. Some of the richest information is held in open text comments. This project seeks a postgraduate to analyse the open text comments from the latest PTES survey using an existing framework developed for the analysis of the comments received in the National Student Survey.
Following analysis, the postgraduate will interpret their findings and produce a report and interactive data visualisation for members of senior management in the University including the Graduate School and Transforming Teaching Programme. The report and visualisation will be used to raise awareness, inform strategic and operational planning, and identify opportunities to proactively improve student experience at the University of Nottingham.
The successful candidate will have a keen attention to detail, experience in data management, the ability to communicate with clarity, and an interest in improving student experience. Experience of data analysis and visualisation would be desirable.
The successful candidate will gain practical and demonstrable experience in the following areas:
The deliverables of the project will be:
- Building interactive data visualisations in Tableau (market leading business intelligence and analytics software)
- Writing reports for senior stakeholders
- Using data to generate and support evidence based decision making
- Time management
- Data analysis in NVivo
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel
The successful candidate will have the following skills:
- A report identifying the challenges and opportunities for improving the teaching and learning experience of taught postgraduates at the University of Nottingham. The report will also discuss the similarities and differences between the experiences and opinions of taught postgraduates and undergraduates.
- An interactive data visualisation to bring these data to life, created in market leading software Tableau.
The successful candidate will be required to sign a data protection agreement.
- Keen attention to detail
- Strong time management and organisational skills
- Good English language skills
- High level of computer literacy
- Confident handling and managing data
- Comfortable learning new software
- Experience in Microsoft Excel (including formulas)
- Use of specialisation software including NVivo and Tableau (desirable; support and training can be provided)
- Ability to work independently when necessary